Animal Crossing has a considerable amount of items to help players decorate, but kitchen furniture is often in short supply.
Thankfully, there are ways to get around this problem using the custom design feature, and by using some bright kitchen decorating techniques.
If you want to build your Reddit-worthy ironwood kitchen, we also have advice on how to make the elusive ironwood kitchenette.
On this page:
How to find kitchen items in Animal Crossing: New Horizons explained
Finding kitchen furniture in Animal Crossing may take some time. Unless you’re willing to trade with other players for details, you’ll have to try a series of different methods to receive random pieces of furniture.
Here are the main ways to find new items for your kitchen and some tips on how to maximize your chances.
- Collect kitchen furniture from balloons. Balloons regularly fly over your island in Animal Crossing, and each will contain a random item, materials, or DIY recipe. Always carry a slingshot with you when exploring, and be careful not to shoot down balloons over water or flowers. It’s possible to farm balloons by entering a building to have a conversation with a villager, then leaving before the clock reaches a minute that ends with “4” or “9”, such as 2:44 and 2:49.
- Buy items from Nook’s Cranny. It may sound obvious, but your best chance of finding kitchen furniture is by checking Nook’s Cranny every day. Once you’ve upgraded Nook’s Cranny, you’ll have access to a better range of kitchen furniture, such as the expensive kitchen island, which can buy for 170k Bells.
- Collect DIY recipes to craft furniture. DIY recipes can use to craft items in Animal Crossing, and these can be collected through random balloon drops, talking to villagers, and in message bottles found on your beach and Mystery Islands, you visit by spending Nook Miles. A limited selection of DIY recipes can also redeem with Nook Miles via the Nook Miles Stop. Villagers will craft multiple items per day, so it’s worth routinely checking to see if a new DIY recipe is available.
- Shake trees. You’re guaranteed two random things from shaking your island’s trees per day, and each Nook Miles island with trees (unless they all bear fruit) will have one random question tucked away in the branches. Get shaking, and watch out for wasps.
Tips for designing an Animal Crossing: New Horizons kitchen
There’s no one way to go about designing a kitchen in Animal Crossing, but these pointers will certainly help you on your way to creating a kitchen you can be proud of.
- Decide on a color scheme before you start. Picking one or two colors to theme your kitchen around will help keep your design consistent. It’s also a good idea to consider what furniture, wallpaper, and flooring you have available before making this decision. Don’t be afraid to use dark colors: when used consistently, black-furniture kitchens can look great.
- Check the customization options for all furniture and items. Many items in Animal Crossing can be customized at a workbench using customization kits, which can buy from the Nook’s Cranny cabinet. Customizing details will help you keep a consistent color scheme, give you more choice when decorating, and let you create custom designs to give your kitchen items a unique look.
- Avoid cluttering your kitchen surfaces with items. While there are plenty of decorative items in Animal Crossing, placing these on every surface of your kitchen will make it feel cluttered. Picking a couple of stand-out decorations to focus on will help make your kitchen feel tidier.
- Use plants and flowers to decorate. A few plant items or flowers can often lighten the feel of a room. Potted ivy is available early in the game via the Test Your DIY skills pack from Nook’s Cranny and can customize into various colors. You can also hang flower wreaths on the walls inside your house, which can craft using DIY recipes. If you don’t have the flower color you want, you may have to breed your hybrid flowers.
- Wear clothes to decorate your walls. If you’re struggling to fill wall space, placing clothing items such as aprons and chef’s hats on the walls can help your room feel more like a kitchen. Flower crowns can also hang on the wall as an alternative to wreaths.
- Think about lighting. Lighting is always something to consider in Animal Crossing, as it can drastically change the mood of a room. Items such as wood-burning stoves and brick ovens can create a cozy glow while placing an iron wall lamp above a gas range can create a mock extraction fan unit.
- Create a kitchen-living room. If you’re converting one of your larger rooms into a kitchen, consider turning it into a kitchen-living room by placing some sofas and tables separate to your kitchen area. Rugs and panels often work well to help separate the two spaces, but custom designs set as tiles will also do the trick.
- Be creative! Not every kitchen needs to fill with ironwood furniture. As seen on Reddit and Twitter, it’s possible to make medieval Skyrim-themed kitchens, diners, Korean restaurants, and more by being imaginative with the items you’ve collected.
Custom design tricks to decorate a kitchen in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Like previous games in the series, New Horizons allows players to customize items with their designs, and even download models made by other players via Q.R. code and the custom design portal. Players have already come up with some ingenious ways to use this to solve the kitchen furniture problem.
Create fake cupboards with a custom stall
Stalls are a craftable item available early on as a DIY recipe that can redeem with Nook Miles from the Nook Miles Stop. It’s possible to change both the color of the wood on the stalls and their pattern, meaning you can use booths as fake cupboards to display all your kitchenware.
Inspired by one player’s false ironwood kitchen cupboard, I decided to make my version match my kitchen, which can download using the code below. As a bonus, potted ivy will clip into the top of a stall when placed directly above it, which creates a subtle mossy effect.
Chopping and cooking in real life get messy – and many kitchens have splashback panels to prevent the mess from getting on the walls. So why not design your own in Animal Crossing? Simply use the custom design tool, then display it as a canvas in your house. I created one for the back of my gas range, which blends in with the cooker, but this method would also work on top of any kitchen counter. Mosaic-style patterns tend to be particularly useful splashbacks.
Along similar lines to the splashback, players have created cute canvas designs that can use as fake shelving. This one by player Elena on Reddit is suitable for a light-colored kitchen or living space and can download using the code below.
Make a two-tier room with an optical illusion
Room designs in Animal Crossing can sometimes feel quite flat, but one way around this is by creating an optical illusion with custom designs to trick the eye into believing the room has two levels. As inspired by yamaji_maya on Twitter (for which you can find download codes here), I made my two-tier lodge room using three separate custom design patterns and individually placing them as tile mats to cover half the floor.
Sure, it’s not a kitchen, but the principle is the same – and it’s a great way to separate kitchen and living areas.
If you want to try this out for yourself, pick a darker color for your lower flooring, and keep the upper and lower sections similar in tone, as this helps maintain the optical illusion. Placing items of furniture in front of the drop-off will also help the dream feel more natural.
New to Animal Crossing? Our Animal Crossing New Horizons tips can help with the basics.
From the off, there’s fish and bugs to catch, flowers and fruit to grow, villagers to add or remove and tools such as the new ladder and vaulting pole to collect.
Once you have settled in, you’ll want to be making as many Bells as possible, start receiving K.K. Slider songs and work on your island star rating and acquiring kitchen furniture.
Recently added were Leif and Redd, and make sure you make use of Nature Day and find Tarantulas before the month’s out.
How to craft an ironwood kitchenette and get other ironwood items in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Ironwood furniture has become incredibly popular in the Animal Crossing community for kitchen designs, and the ironwood kitchenette is one of the most sought-after items. Unfortunately, it’s also rather challenging to make, as it requires two other uncommon DIY things to craft.
The recipe for the ironwood kitchenette can found in the Wildest Dreams DIY pack, which can be bought via the Nook’s Cranny cabinet reasonably early in the game. To craft the ironwood kitchenette, you’ll need four wood, three iron nuggets, and ironwood dresser, and a cutting board.
The ironwood dresser and cutting board are both DIY recipes that can be found randomly in the game through the usual methods (such as talking to villagers and opening message bottles), but they can be quite hard to come by. If you want a more direct way to find the items, it might be more comfortable to ask your friends to see if they have the recipes or to head to trading websites such as Nookazon, where other players list their items for trade.
Once you’ve found the methods, you’ll need seven wood and four iron nuggets to craft the ironwood dresser, while the cutting board requires two wood and one iron nugget.
Although hard to find, once you’ve crafted the ironwood kitchenette, your house will be the talk of the town. Good luck in your search!